FAMILY DISCIPLESHIP - EQUIPPING PARENTS TO BE DISCIPLE MAKERS
- Blessing Our Children: Building Faith That Lasts (II Timothy) — The Apostle Paul's wonderful
example of blessing, edifying and encouraging Timothy can help parents build godly faith in
their children for a lifetime.
- Revival Begins at Home (Psalm 51 & Isaiah 6) — Raising godly children always begins with the parents! Both King
David and the prophet Isaiah are humble models for parents to look to as we walk before a holy God, and then parent our
children to do the same.
- Standing Strong in a Godless Culture (Daniel 1, 2 & 6) — Daniel may be the ultimate Old Testament example
of godliness in a godless culture. His integrity, insight and intimacy with God were hallmarks of his life, and can be
hallmarks for Christian families today, as well!
- Recognizing Our Culture's Direction (Isaiah 5) — The 6 "Woes" of Isaiah chapter 5 are a jarring picture of a culture's
decline, and bear a startling resemblance to our day. What should your family's response be?
- Baseball and the Kingdom of God (Hebrews 11:6) — A creative but serious analogy using the game of baseball to
look at the stages of discipleship that parents and their children go through on the way to Christian maturity.
FAMILY INSTRUCTION - ENCOURAGING A VISION FOR MULTI-GENERATIONAL CHRISTIANITY
- Exploring Your Family Heritage (Psalm 78 & 145) — It is God's design for you to know your family heritage in the
Lord, and to pass it on for generations of blessings. These two Psalms can give you a pattern for your family to use.
- Shirking and Usurping: Generational Sins Since the Garden (Genesis 3) — The derailment of multi-generational
Christianity is always caused by sin. And sin since the Garden of Eden has only varied in degree, not in type. There
is no substitute for understanding the biblical R.O.L.E. for fathers and mothers to see Christian faith passed on from
generation to generation.
- The Courtship Alternative: Our Families' Story (Genesis 2:24-25) — Any successfully launched marriage is the story
of two families laying a foundation with God as the builder. This is our story, written by God, that has been a great encouragement
to many families with young people wondering if there is a better way than the world's way.
- The College Alternatives: Mentoring & Entrepreneurship (Proverbs 22:29) — There are far more ways to become productive
adults than we ever realized, until we looked closely at preparing to launch our own children some day. Indeed,
there are solid biblical principles, and outstanding resources available, for families who desire to walk a different path.
- Losing Your Life to Pass It On ... for Generations! (Matthew 10:39 & Proverbs 22:6) — Jesus assured us (six times!)
that everyone loses their life. But how can we lose our life for what really counts for eternity, and for your children and
your children's children? By growing in knowing and living the specific purpose for which you were created, and helping
our children to do the same.
CHRISTIAN HERITAGE - LEARNING FROM OUR NATIONAL SPIRITUAL HERITAGE
- Spiritual Life Lessons from Gettysburg and Antietam (II Samuel 11:1) — Understanding two of the greatest battles
of the Civil War can lead us to many spiritual lessons for life today in areas such as: faith, freedom, love, commitment,
obedience, forgiveness, and fear.
- Francis Scott Key: Passionate Christian Patriot (Galatians 5:1) — It was the remarkable providence of God that
a man of such Christian and patriotic zeal found himself in the midst of the British fleet during the Battle of Baltimore
in 1814. Francis Scott Key's testimony resounds to this day, from his unusual response to slavery, to meeting a Muslim
- Harpers Ferry: Confluence of History, from George Washington to Booker T. Washington (II Corinthians 5:1) —
From the Colonial Period to the Civil War to the early Civil Rights Movement, this little town has been in the path of
history, a history best understood as His story, and full of lessons for families to live by today.
- C&O Canal's Builders, Keepers & Preservers: A Testimony in Time (Luke 13:24) — With a budget comparable to
the Apollo Program, this early 19th century engineering marvel carries lessons for our day: initiative, creativity, dependability,
loyalty, resourcefulness and patience. Lessons that we can find in the words of Jesus.
- Providences of God in Maryland's History (II Corinthians 5:18) — "The greatest need in the universe is illustrated in
the most beautiful flag in the Union." Maryland's history and flag are surprising testimonies to the need, and the means,
for reconciliation: in families, between people, among states, and ultimately, with God.
FAMILY EVANGELISM - HELPING FAMILIES TO BE LIGHTS IN A LOST WORLD
- Jesus & Family Evangelism (John 1, 3 & 4) — From three close encounters with Christ, we learn the person to be,
the message to share, and the approach to use to be a witnessing Christian family.
- Family Ministry Ideas and Opportunities (Acts 1:8) — Using Acts 1:8 as an outline, any family, in their own unique
way, can be involved in a wide range of evangelistic opportunities.
- Becoming a "Say So" Christian (Psalm 107) — Psalm 107 illustrates four powerful ways the gospel changes
lives. How has the gospel made a difference in your family? Take time to consider how by considering these truths, and
then looking for ways to "say so" by sharing with others how the Lord has blessed and changed you and your family.
- Evangelism Training 101 for Families (Luke 19:10) — Simple biblical principles that every family can apply to share
the love and truth of Jesus in any relationship or setting.
- Hospitality and Evangelism: Telling Your Story (Acts 9, 22 & 26) — The Apostle Paul's amazing example of a personal
testimony shared in the midst of hostility contains valuable lessons for "hospitality with a purpose" today!
FAMILY MISSIONS - PREPARING FAMILIES TO SERVE TOGETHER . . . ANYWHERE
- Developing a Family Ministry: Why & How (Psalm 16) — Foundational biblical principles from Psalm 16 and a
practical outline for beginning to minister together as a family, starting right where you are now!
- Family Missions - The Ultimate Family Discipleship Adventure (Genesis 12:3c) — After laying a broad biblical
foundation for missions and evangelism for families, Bernie explains the powerful effect of families ministering together
to engage "The Three Mission Fields."
- Family Discipleship and the History of Missions: The Big Picture (Romans 15:20) — The surges and hurdles of the
past two centuries of missions is outlined, showing modern parallels within the typical Christian family that give us clear
direction for every family's spiritual growth.
- Missions Starts at Home: Raising Children with a Heart for the World (Luke 10:2) — Prayer coupled with parent-led
practical steps can guide Christian children into adulthood with a heart for the world!
- The Great Commission for Ordinary Families: “But Some Were Doubtful” (Matthew 28:17) — The Great Commission
will be fulfilled, by ordinary people and families, trusting an extraordinary God. Be challenged and encouraged
with Jesus' words that can make this vision true for your family!
Bernie and Linda Beall are the founders of Great Commission Families (GCF), a ministry to families, as a family. Their
motto is “Mobilizing Families for God’s Kingdom Worldwide.” In addition to GCF, Bernie serves as North American
Missions Director for Family Mission International. Prior to GCF, Bernie and Linda were with Campus Crusade for
Christ for 23 years. The Bealls have homeschooled their four children since 1989, and are now grandparents! Bernie
grew up on a dairy farm not far from their current home in Brunswick, Maryland.